DUTIES: Room Setup: Mike B. Apologies now to Barrie Whyte Reception: Jim B.
Sergeant: Denis D.
Members 2 Minutes: Bill D.
Speaker’s Host: Jeff D.
Vote of Thanks: Keith R.
Parting Thought: Russell S.
( If not able to be there please arrange a swap or replacement ) President: Mike Norton Secretary: Barry Blommaart Treasurer-Editor: Denis Daly SPEAKER THIS WEEK : Lance Heger - will be telling us about catching Halibut off the coast of Greenland. LAST WEEK : Six of our members visited Stoke- Tahunanui Tues. meeting at the Ocean Lodge, had enjoyable
Fellowship and roast meal with nine of their members, plus heard an informative address from James McMeehan, who is the recently appointed Manager of Operations for the Nelson-Tasman- Marlborough- West Coast Area of St Johns . James hails from the Wellington Free Ambulance and faces challenges in this district with the recently announced changes to St Johns Ambulance services response, which arises from the continuing upward growth-pressure from numbers of call-outs. These are challenging times ! We learned a few other facts also :
For instance, who of our readers knows the difference between a cardiac arrest and a heart attack ? You had better attend our next meeting to find out ( if you don’t know ) --A SHORT HISTORY OF THE ROTARY CLUB OF RUTHERFORD -- * Originally chartered as a breakfast club with 21 members in 1981.
* Reached membership of 45 back in the late 1980’s
* Brought the NZ Army Band to Nelson, raised funds from the Concerts & a formal Ball.
* Special Cooking Demo by Alison Holst to raise funding for Polio Plus.
* Purchased the Bone Fixation Unit & Kidney stone frag. machine for Nelson Hospital.
* Ran the Home & Leisure Show – which became the big event in town and was a major
Fundraiser and earner for the Rotary Trust for a number of years.
* Purchased the X-ray Scanner with $14K proceeds of the first Home Show.
* We still rely on our Hot Dog Caravan to raise funds, as we did way back.
* Began the annual "City Santa Parade" which continues under the new Trust we setup.
* Gazebo built in Queens Gardens, piles put in the Pond, + helicoptering in the Gazebo.
* Donated $12,000 for the Commemorative Wakefield Quay Plaques in that upgrade. We have supported RYLA, Student Speech Contests, Matched student Exchange, and actively worked to run the RYPEN youth journey at its inception. On 11th Dec. 2001 the Board of RI approved our name change to " The Rotary Club of Rutherford, Nelson."
# Thurs 8 Nov. …. CarFit Clinic - is cancelled due to lack of Probus response
# Sat 10 Nov. …. Big Beach Clean Up as per Barry’s 13/10/12 Memo.
( Oxidation Ponds to The Glen , like last time ) Mike B. is co-
-ordinating Labour, please let him know you are available.
# Thurs. 22 Nov …. CarFit Clinic, Motueka. -- now cancelled.
# Sun 2 Dec. …. Santa Festival -- not that far away chaps !! RYLA COURSE -- Reminder – we have one position available for this leadership course – see Barry B’s 13th Oct E-mail Memo for the attached full information. Everyone was sent this. The Course is being held 20-25 January at College House, Uni of Canterbury, same as last year.( We then sent Aleisha Shutte who later came and spoke to us about that experience) WE NEED APPLICATIONS FROM PEOPLE WITH LEADERSHIP POTENTIAL - between ages 18 and 24. CLUB HAPPENINGS: Speakers coming up – Nov. 5th : Dr Carl Hellyer Nov. 12
th : Murray Leaning, Radio Announcer - - please keep up attendance these dates, bring a friend or partner to hear these guests--
Wed 31 October at 6:50pm Group to see film " Kiwi Flyer" - let Ian Catto know if you
- KIWI FLYER FILM- will come - at Mon night meeting. Suggest a group may like
To meet prior,for quick meal or coffee at the theatre café ?
( Let Ian know) Otherwise meet up at ticket area at 6:40pm.-1.25 hrs duration.
( Ed. Has seen the film , you have to see it for yourself and see what you make of it ! )
WE NEED TO FIND AND BRING ALONG PROSPECTIVE NEW MEMBERS - TOP PRIORITY
( PS: Secretary Barry is away for a couple of weeks chasing little red balls at an event in Australia )